- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 2 medium apples, chopped (I used Granny Smith)
- 1 14 oz bag caramels, unwrapped or 11 oz unwrapped Caramel Bits work great
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter, sugar, and powdered sugar. Add vanilla and beat until combined. Mix in the flour and combine until it forms a soft dough.
- Press half of the dough in the bottom of a 9×13 dish and place the other half of the dough into the refrigerator. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and melt the caramels, heavy cream and ½ tsp vanilla in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir together until smooth. Stir in the chopped apples. Pour evenly over the hot crust. Lightly sprinkle the coarse sea salt over the crust. I didn’t end up using the entire T, just lightly sprinkle evenly on top. You don’t want them too salty.
- Take the remaining dough out of the refrigerator and crumble over the top of the caramel. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until filling is bubbly and the top is firm. Let them cool completely before cutting.
Recipe from: http://therecipecritic.com/2014/10/salted-caramel-apple-butter-bars/