- 1/2c unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1c all-purpose flour
- 2 large apples, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2c old-fashioned oats
- 1/3c packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4c all-purpose flour
- 1/4c unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- homemade caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 300*F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang on all sides. Set aside.
- Make the crust: Stir the melted butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the flour and stir until everything is combined. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling and streusel.
- Make the apple filling: Combine the sliced apples, flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl until all of the apples are evenly coated. Set aside.
- Make the streusel: Whisk the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour together in a medium bowl. Cut in the chilled butter with a pastry blender or two forks (or even with your hands) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Remove the crust from the oven, and turn the oven up to 350*F. Evenly layer the apples on top of the warm crust. It will look like there are too many apple slices, so layer them tightly and press them down to fit. Sprinkle the apple layer with streusel and bake for 30–35 minutes or until the streusel is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 20 minutes at room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (or overnight). Lift the foil or parchment out of the pan using the overhang on the sides and cut into bars. Once cut, drizzle salted caramel sauce on top of each, if desired.
Recipe from: sallysbakingaddiction.com