- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening, cold
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 10 tablespoons cold water
- 12 total apples (use a few varieties to give flavor an enhanced level!) peeled and sliced 1/4” slices
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1-1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix flour, salt, shortening, and 1/2 cup cold butter together with a pastry blender until well blended. Add water to the well blended flour mixture. Mix all ingredients together with a fork until come together in a ball slightly.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll one half of the dough on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin and place into a large oblong dish push the dough up the sides.
- Placed sliced apples in the prepared dish; set aside. In a large saucepan, heat, sugar, cinnamon, 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) and water over medium heat until butter melts. Pour over the apples in the prepared dish.
- Roll the other half of the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut 1/2 inch strips and place a row going diagonally 1/2 inch apart on top of the apples. Place another row of strips going the opposite direction 1/2 inch apart.
- Brush liberally with melted butter and sprinkle with course sugar and bake for 1 hour. Serve hot or room temperature with ice cream. Note: The top layer of crust can be rolled in a single layer and placed over the apples